Friday, November 8, 2013

Holiday Traditions

We love thinking up new themes and ideas to inspire your Christmas card-making, ♥JINGLE BELLES♥, but something we love even more is when you write in with an awesome idea for US! This time it was the very talented and very enthusiastic Marie Bingaman who emailed us with the idea of making cards based on our favorite family holiday traditions, a suggestion we heartily approved! Maybe you'll be inspired by something your family did when you were a child, or maybe you'll choose a newer tradition which you've begun with your own children or grandchildren. Either way, we cannot wait to see your cards and hear your stories!

You will probably recognize Marie Bingaman's name and fabulous style from seeing her cards in our readers' gallery, or maybe you know her as the leaver of exceptionally nice comments on the blogs of her fellow belles? Either way, we know you'll enjoy a trip to her fun and funny online home, "ANOTHER Card-making Blog?!"! In the meantime, here's her card:



Marie says, "The older I get, the more I realize how important family traditions were to me! I miss going to my grandparents' house after the Christmas Eve service to eat goodies and talk. That tradition died a little bit when my Grandpa passed away, and then for good when my Dad died...Grandma's heart just isn't in it anymore! Hopefully, when I have grandkids...in the *very distant* future(!!), I can start the tradition over again for a new generation!"



Stephanie says, "One of my favorite family traditions was decorating the Christmas tree as a family with our collection of vintage ornaments.  We would pull them out one by one and take turns placing them on the tree until it was completely covered.  I loved sitting in the dark living room at night and watching the lights twinkle ... great memories."



Lauren says, "I think my favorite holiday tradition was reading Clement C. Moore's "Twas the Night Before Christmas" every Christmas Eve. It started with my father reading to my siblings and myself when we were tiny. As we grew, it was quite a big deal the first year each of us was old enough to be the one to read it. Eventually we could all recite it by heart--and to this day, I still can! I treasure the first story-book copy I was given as a tiny girl, and as an adult I've collected a dozen or so more, and am always on the lookout for pretty vintage versions. This card uses a scaled-down color-copied page from one of my favorite editions, with illustrations by Zillah Lesko." 


Now we long to hear about ♥YOUR♥ favorite holiday traditions, and see the cards they inspire you to make! Link them up here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, November 20th. Keyword for galleries and our Flickr group is JB:13:23.

7 comments:

Marie Bingaman said...

Hey ladies! Great looking cards! But who am I kidding...both of you always make fabulous cards!! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great challenge!! And the fantastic DT Inspiration!!!

- Susan
{Scrap A Thousand Words}
{Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges} *New Challenge Blog*

Darnell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darnell said...

I love the idea of this challenge!! I've been seeing you on my friends' blogs for some time and I'm delighted I finally got a chance to link a card!! The DT cards and gallery are so fun and inspiring!! Thank you! Hugs, Darnell

Benzi said...

What wonderful Christmas cards and I love reading these stories. What a great challenge.

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Such a great idea for a challenge - love the cards girls!!!

Deanne :)

Anonymous said...

gorgeous cards lauren, stephanie and marie! thanks for this prompt.